Educational Consultation can include but is not limited to:
- Consultation on the Educational and mental health needs of gifted children
- Consultation on the Educational and mental health needs of students with special learning needs
- Individualized Educational Consultation Services
- School Consultation Services
- “Wrap around service” before and after an assessment: Soma works in collaboration with licensed BC Psychologists who administer full psycho-educational and neuropsychological assessments.
- Transition planning (pre-school to Kindergarten, Elementary/Middle school to High school, High school to post-secondary)
- Understanding an IEP (Individual Education Plan), learning how to handle school meetings, learning how to advocate for your son or daughter at the school level
- Education Planning (designing a customized education based on available services in the community)
- Summary and Integration for individuals who have had multiple assessments and would like to see the “big picture”
- Schools visits and collaborating with school based teams
- Referral to specific, targeted services in the community
Our counsellors have extensive experience in helping students with unique challenges ranging from “at risk” to special education identification. We believe that it is crucial to recognize that individuals who are gifted, who have learning disabilities, self-regulation and attention issues and/or social difficulties that adversely affect them academically often have skills and talents in other areas. Through the counselling process, these other abilities can be highlighted, encouraged and developed in the right environment.
Our counsellors are familiar with the public and independent school system in BC. We believe that parents have a vital role to play in advocating for their children’s education. Soma is dedicated to resourcing families. Our counsellors are skilled in collaborating and working together with the school based team (teachers, administrators, counsellors, SEAs, etc.) and can be available to make school visits when requested.